Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Acceptable Communication in Relationships: Texting vs. Calling

Man...Im on a roll..lol My poor lil brain has reached it's capacity! All I do is write and type it seems...

As the days get longer, it seems as if the productive hours get shorter. (for me anyway) It's hard juggling work, home, and a personal life--I mean everything has some sort of priority and needs daily attention. How do you manage?

For those of us that are single (meaning not married)...u probably can relate to what Im saying. I work in a very fast paced environment. There are rarely moments of downtime, so mixing in a personal task can be trying. I may have the upper hand on most because I commute 40 minutes; but at the same time, sometimes I use that time to unwind and prepare myself mentally for my second job (the kids).

Mista and I agreed to make an effort to communicate at least once a day. We weren't specific in how that communication would be relayed so, we play it by ear. There are times where a complete day may pass without us hearing the other's voice....still the lines of communication remain open. Texting is my thing. I love to text. I like to be able to talk without talking and still be able to carry on my other processes of the day.

But, is it personable? Does it mean I care less because I hadn't picked up the phone to say hello? Umm....no. Texts can be just as expressive....it's not what you say, it's how you text it! lol (yall like that huh?) Still, at the same time, I believe text shouldn't be used for very sensitive conversations. (like breakups)

To me, there is no such thing as a "set" acceptable communication. What works for some, may not work for others. As long as communication is present overall-- it works....but Im just one person :)

Mista's 13.....


Communication: The Key to Any Relationship, an excellent defintion of communication..... is a process (either verbal or nonverbal) of sharing information with another person in such a way that she understands what you are saying.

Talking and listening and understanding are all involved in the process of communication... rather on the phone.... face to face.... skype.... texting..... google talk..... facebook.... and yes the most important forum.. the nonverbal "love faces", well in some cases very verbal..

But with all that said... as couples we need to spend more time on listening and understanding than upon talking... Practice the skills of listening.... after all we have two ears , which lets you listen twice as much as you speak..  that's Mista's 13..

No comments:

Post a Comment